ACTIVITIES OF DR BINDU MENON FOUNDATION
DR BINDU MENON FOUNDATION
Dr. Bindu Menon foundation was started on the 26th of August 2013. The foundation is a non-profit organization, which primarily focuses on spreading awareness, and reducing the treatment gap of neurological disorders particularly stroke and epilepsy.
- Increasing awareness on the symptoms and causes of stroke and to ensuring patients reach hospital early.
- Reducing the treatment gap by reaching out to resource-poor areas, underprivileged patients and providing free treatment to patients with epilepsy and stroke.
- Removing the stigma of epilepsy by increasing the awareness.
- Focusing on reducing the number of people affected by preventable forms of epilepsy.
- Empowering persons with stroke and epilepsy so they can lead a life with dignity.
Our Vision is to increase the awareness of stroke and epilepsy in prevention, treatment and post stroke care. Reducing the treatment gap of epilepsy thus reducing the preventable forms of epilepsy helps reduce disease burden incredibly.
We strive to improve Stroke Care Services and aim towards a stroke free region
ACTIVITIES OF DR BINDU MENON FOUNDATION
DR BINDU MENON FOUNDATION
Dr. Bindu Menon foundation was started on 26th august 2013. The foundation is a non-profit organization with the focus on awareness and reducing the treatment gap of neurological disorders particularly stroke and epilepsy.
SERVICES OF DR BINDU MENON FOUNDATION
1) ‘NEUROLOGY ON WHEELS’. First time in the country. Completed 24 villages.
2) Launched Stroke Symptoms mnemonic in Telugu and Recited by Dr S P Balasubramanium. First time in the country.
3) Launch of Epilepsy APP “ EPILEPSY HELP”. First time in the country. It is available in three languages English, Telugu and Hindi as free download.
4) Tele awareness Programme. 18001020237. First time in the country.
5) Free treatment for 100 epilepsy patients with monthly medicines. Completed 70 camps as on October 2019.
6) Free treatment for 100 stroke patients with monthly medicines. Completed 68 camps as on October 2019.
7) Adopted Pragati charity orphanage children with Epilepsy for their medical needs. Adopted 54 children with epilepsy.
Total beneficiaries from the foundation more than 250 .
8) Free medical camps at outreach areas. 55 camps
9) Awareness programee. Completed 120 awareness programmes till now.
10) Started the Parkinson Disease Movement disorder Society Nellore. Have completed 67 Sessions as on October
11) Started the Indian Women Scientists Association Nellore branch. Motto is to reach science to the masses. Completed 13 sessions till now.
12) Released CHATBOT for migraine; an interactive awareness tool for migraine patients
13) Release of health related books, pamphlets and posters for the understanding of epilepsy, headache and stroke.
14) Distribution of books, pamphlets, posters to various schools and colleges.
15) Running Stroke detection and treatment camps.
16) Conducting regular CME, State and national level conferences.
17) TV interviews and paper articles. 15 TV interviews; more than 40 articles. Available on drbindumenon.com section In Press.
18) Other awareness activities
19) Health Awareness Series. A Video awareness series of 3-5 minutes on the important neurological disorders. Completed 28 health series
1) A novel project ‘NEUROLOGY ON WHEELS’ which is first time in the country has been started by the foundation. The ‘NEUROLOGY ON WHEELS’ is a rural oriented project. The team of the foundation visits the interior villages. The village head is intimated about the camp in advance. The motto followed the foundation is WE REACH, WE TEACH AND WE TREAT. After reaching the village awareness programme is held for all the people attending the camp. The talk is tailored to stroke and epilepsy where recognition of diseases and compliance of medicines is emphasized.
Later free medical camp is held where screening and detection of Epilepsy, stroke and other neurological disorders is done. Patients are distributed medicines. Drug naïve stroke and epilepsy patients who are below poverty line are incorporated into the foundation for their free medicines.
‘NEUROLOGY ON wheels’ camps are conducted at remote resource poor areas. Screening of patients is done for hypertension, diabetes, stroke and epilepsy.
2) A new STROKE SYMPTOM MNEMONIC IN TELUGU. Renowned Singer Padmashree Dr. S P Balasubrahmanyam released it. This initiative is first time in the country. A stroke symptom mnemonic in Telugu is designed from the musical note SA RE GA MA PA DA NE SA. Each musical note has a stroke symptom in Telugu.
3) LAUNCHED MOBILE APPLICATION FOR EPILEPSY PATIENTS EPILEPSY APP; FIRST TIME IN THE COUNTRY on 10th April 2016, 6 PM at Town hall. Renowned Singer Padmashree Dr S P Balasubrahmanyam is the Chief Guest for the occasion.
This initiative is first time in the country. It can be downloaded in android phone play store by typing “ EPILEPSY HELP”
This is a free download in 3 languages; English, Hindi, Telugu.
This epilepsy app is a great help for the patients. Epilepsy is an unpredictable disease and patients can get seizures even if they miss a single tablet. Moreover if the patient gets a fit and is rushed to the hospital it is mandatory that the treating physician knows his previous medication.
This app is a comprehensive application, which will help the patient manage and guide their seizures. This mobile Application will help patients to enter all their personal data, has a seizure diary to note any events without fail. There is a medication list where patient can enter all their medication present and past with alarms for the present treatment so as not to forget a single dose. The app has an appointment tracker. Patient can upload all his investigations like scans, EEG, blood investigations. In case of seizure if a bystander has taken a video of the event the video can be uploaded in the app so that the patient can show to the doctor during his visit, which helps the doctor in making a diagnosis.
In certain patients they have aura symptoms i.e. warning before the fit. In such cases our app has an application where the patient can feed any single phone of friend or relative. During the warning time he can click on the icon it will give a ring as well as a message to the number.
The app also contains all the information about epilepsy, first aid, video and posters related to epilepsy. The App is a free app and is available in 3 languages; English, Hindi and Telugu.
Dr. Bindu Menon said that in this era of modern technology with smart phone availability with all the patients, it is mandatory that we incorporate the technology for the use of the health care. Most patients lag behind in their job for lack of confidence. In short this app will make the epilepsy patient confident and help in managing his own disease with their treating physician.
4) TELE AWARENESS PROGRAMME. A novel awareness initiative for epilepsy, stroke and migraine has been launched. A toll free number 18001020237 can be dialed and important information can be listened.
This initiative is first time in the country for health awareness.
5) FREE TREATMENT FOR 100 EPILEPSY PATIENTS WITH MONTHLY MEDICINES.
70 camps as on October 2019.
Every month 100 patients with epilepsy who are below poverty line are given free consultation and medicines. Patients also undergo free tests like EEG, biochemical investigation as and when required. 80% of epilepsy can be treated with medicines; however because of various reasons patients do not continue treatment. A counseling session is also held in each camp so that they understand the importance of treatment.
6) FREE TREATMENT FOR 100 STROKE PATIENTS WITH MONTHLY MEDICINES.
70 camps as on October 2019.
Stroke is a devastating illness and the consequences of not taking secondary prevention of stroke can be disastrous. The foundation provides free consultation and medicines for 100 people with stroke from below poverty line. Antiplatelet, statins and antihypertensive are given free of cost. Patients are also given physiotherapy, which will help them to be getting back to normal life.
Bothe epilepsy and stroke patients have their ID card issued from Dr. Bindu Menon Foundation.
7) Free medical camps at outreach areas. 55 camps
Camps were conducted at outreach areas in the resource free areas. 52 Camps as on Feb 2019. There is a lot of treatment gap in epilepsy and stroke in India. The reasons are the stigma as well as the treatment cost incurred, which can’t be borne by the patient. Keeping this in view the foundation does outreach camps at various areas so that patients who cannot travel to the town have a neurological check up, free blood sugar and blood pressure evaluated. Medicines are given free of cost
8) SCHOOL AND COLLEGE PROGRAMEE (SCP) and social organizations
Completed 117 Awareness programme. As on Augsut 2019.
We conduct regular SCP’s for students so that they understand that epilepsy is not a stigma. Need for a healthy brain in the young population is required. Information about stroke recognition and importance of time is counseled. The SCP’s have been very rewarding as students are more perceptive to information about illness. We feel that, as children are the building block of the future strong society; a clear understanding of certain illness will help in making a healthy future.
DESIGN OF THE PROGRAMME
Prior permission is taken from the school officials. The SCP is held when it is a leisure hour for them. A very brief questionnaire is collected from them to know their fund of information about epilepsy.
Give facts about epilepsy and stroke and help them to fight the myths; first aid measures; dos and don’ts of epilepsy. Help them to be aware of preventable form of epilepsy. Brief them about causes and triggers of headache. Help them to recognize stroke and make them aware about the importance of ‘Time is Brain’.
Distribution of books, pamphlets and posters designed for the understanding of EPILEPSY, STROKE and HEADCAHE.
9) Started the Parkinson Disease Movement disorder Society Nellore.
Dr. Bindu Menon Foundation along with Parkinson’s disease and Movement Disorders Society (PDMDS) started PDMDS Nellore.
The support group provides physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, Psychology and Cognition, diet and Nutrition therapy and also alternate therapies such as music, dance and arts.
67 sessions as on October 2019
10) Started the Indian Women Scientists Association Nellore branch. Motto is to reach science to the masses. Completed 11 sessions till now.
11) RELEASE OF HEALTH RELATED BOOKS, PAMPHLETS, POSTERS FOR THE UNDERSTANDING OF EPILEPSY, HEADACHE AND STROKE.
1) Comic on epilepsy “NA PAIR SATRI;
2) Poster on ‘PREVENT NEUROCYSTICERCOSIS’ PREVENT EPILEPSY’.
3) Poster on ‘PREVENT CEREBRAL PALSY-PREVENT EPILEPSY’
4) Epilepsy information booklets in Telugu and English
5) Patient awareness guide for epilepsy in Telugu
6) Booklet in Telugu on “KNOW YOUR HEADACHE”
7) Booklet in English on “KNOW YOUR HEADACHE”
8) Pamphlet on Dementia signs.
9) Booklet in English and Telugu on guide to stroke “RISE; YOUR GUIDE TO STROKE”
10) Pamphlet on signs and prevention of stroke.
12) DISTRIBUTION OF BOOKS, PAMPHLETS, POSTERS TO VARIOUS SCHOOLS, COLLEGES AND ORGANISATIONS
The educational materials are distributed to various schools, colleges and various organizations. With the help of District Medical health Officer the Comic epilepsy “NA PAIR SATRI and the Poster on ‘PREVENT NEUROCYSTICERCOSIS’ PREVENT EPILEPSY’ has been distributed to around 1000 hostels and educational institutions.
Poster on ‘PREVENT CEREBRAL PALSY-PREVENT EPILEPSY’ With the help of District Medical Health officer was distributed to 75 primary health centers, 15 community health centers, 10 urban health centers, and 3 area hospitals. Apart from that the same was distributed in various clinics and private hospitals. Posters were given to the child and welfare section.
A booklet on stroke in English and local Telugu language which covers all aspects of stroke including rehabilitation. The booklet named RISE ‘a guide to life after stroke’. The booklet was distributed to all the patients of stroke and also to the general public for awareness.
Booklet in English and Telugu on “KNOW YOUR HEADACHE”. Headache is a common complaint in school and college students. Bad life style is a an important contributing factor and the booklet gives an overview about the headache and an advice about good life style.
13) STROKE DETECTION AND TREATMENT CAMPS.
All patients undergo a detailed questionnaire regarding their dietary habits and physical activity. Blood pressure and plasma sugars are evaluated. Height and weight is checked and their BMI is calculated grading them as normal, overweight and obese. With all these risk factors evaluation the public is counseled regarding their stroke risk according to stoke risk card. Later all patients are given a short briefing on stoke regarding its symptoms, etiology and need for risk factors identification and modification. All patients interact and clear their doubts at all camps. The stroke risk score and the interaction help the public to recognize and identify stroke symptoms and risk factors.
Regular camps at Red cross, Rotary club and vasavi club for the elderly is conducted.
14) Adopted Pragati charity orphanage children with Epilepsy for their medical needs.
Pragati charity an orphanage has more than 140 children with special needs. There are above 50 children who have epilepsy. Dr. Bindu Menon foundation has adopted the children with epilepsy and takes care of their medical needs.
15) CONFERENCES ORGANISED: 20
CONFERENCES ORGANISED: Total credit hours: 24
Organizing secretary for fourth annual conference ‘Pearls in clinical Neurology’ 22ND -23RD Dec 2018. Nellore. Credited with 4 credit hours from A P Medical Council
- Organizing secretary for fourth annual conference ‘Pearls in clinical Neurology’ 16 and 17th Dec 2017. Nellore. Credited with 4 credit hours from A P Medical Council
- Started Neuroscience nursing programme for 6months from October 2017.
- Organizing Continuous Medical education Programme “Neuroscience CME” since January 2016. Each CME is credited with 2 credit hours from A P Medical Council for each CME.Jan 24th; Feb 28th; 3rd April.17th July, 28th Aug
- Organizing secretary for third annual conference ‘Pearls in clinical Neurology’ 3-4th Dec 2016. Nellore. Credited with 3 credit hours from A P Medical Council
- Organizing secretary for ‘CME on Stroke’ 2nd October 2016. Nellore. Credited with 2 credit hours from A P Medical Council
- Organizing secretary for Second annual conference ‘Pearls in clinical Neurology’ 22nd Nov 2015 Nellore. Credited with 1 credit hour from A P Medical Council
- Organizing secretary for ‘CME on Stroke’ October 2015. Nellore.
- Organizing secretary for ‘Pearls in clinical Neurology’ December 2014 Nellore.
- Organizing chairperson for 2nd VIDEO EEG Workshop on 18th May 2013.
- Organizing chairperson for international workshop on peripheral nerve ultrasound 16th Nov 2012.
- Organizing chairperson on one day workshop on EEG, 2011 at Narayana Medical College and Hospital Nellore.
- Organizing chairman on one day workshop on cerebrovascular ultrasound December 04, 2010 at Narayana Medical College and Hospital Nellore.
- Organizing secretary of CME on ‘Epilepsy’ by the Indian Epilepsy Association Nellore branch Jan 2009.
- Organizing secretary of “K S Mani Colloquium on Epilepsy” By the Indian Epilepsy Association Tirupati May 2007.
- Member, Organizing Committee of ESICON Tirupati, 30TH Nov-2nd Dec 2007
- Joint Organizing Secretary of 10th Andhra Pradesh Neuroscientists Association. APNSA 2003, July 26th-27th.2003. Tirupati.
- Joint organizing secretary of “Symposium on Epilepsy” by the Indian Epilepsy Association Tirupati. 15th March 2003.
- Organized CME on “Migraine” in SVIMS in June 2004, Tirupati.
- Organized CME on “Chronic viral infections of the C N S” in SVIMS, Tirupati, August, 2002.
16) TV INTERVIEWS AND PAPER ARTICLES. 15 TV INTERVIEWS; MORE THAN 40 ARTICLES. AVAILABLE ON DRBINDUMENON.COM SECTION IN PRESS.
AWARENESS PROGRAMME ON TELEVISION
- Interview on Migraine on 22nd July 2019 on World Brain Day.
- Interview in Time is Brain Feb 2019.
- Interview on “ Epilepsy” on February 12th 2018 at ACT Health.
- Interview on Headache In ACT channel August 2017.
- Interview on neurological disorders on World Brain Day. ACT channel August 2017
- Interview on Stroke in ACT channel October on World Stroke day. 2016.
- Interview on Stroke In TV 5 channel Nov 2016
- Interview on Headache in ACN channel 2016 April.
- Interview on Epilepsy in ACN channel March 2016
- Interview on Dementia in ACN channel Oct 2014-12-2
- Interview on Stroke In ACN channel Nov 2014
- Interview on neurological health in April 2014
- Live interview in ACN channel on june 2013.
- Live interview on SAAKSHI cannel on 10th june 2013 on Epilepsy.
- Epilepsy awareness on 16th November on ACN Channel.
- Dementia awareness on 16th November on ACN Channel.
- Live interview on ABN Channel on Stroke on Dec 1st.
- A clip movie on Dr Bindu Menon on the achievements in ABN channels in Woman’s
17) OTHER AWARENESS ACTIVITIES:
1) 2011. Walk rally on national Epilepsy day.
2) 2012. Bike rally for helmet awareness campaign
3) 2014. National Epilepsy day Marathon. Theme – Run for epilepsy- Run for the Change.
4) 29th October 2014. WORLD STROKE DAY A bike rally was flagged. 50 bike riders with the FAST Board on the bikes went around city of Nellore.
5) 2014. World Alzheimers day. A memory walk with more 500 members.
6) 2014 A stroke alert team was launched with ambulance services trained to pick up patients from home for thrombolytic therapy.
7) 2015 Parkinsons disease support group was started. t
8) 2016. Memory screening clinic started on every Thursday
9) Headache clinics on every Tuesday.
10) September 21st 2017. World Alzheimer’s Day. Theme “Remember me” A Dementia Awareness drive at Gandhi Statue, Nellore.
11) On the occasion of World Stroke Day 2017. A BRAIN FAIR on “Prevent Stroke” was organised. More than 700 students participated from 6 schools.
12) On the occasion of World Brain day; cycle rally was organized on the theme “Clean air for healthy brain.
13) Release of helium balloon on the occasion of International Epilepsy Day. 11th February 2019.
19) Health Awareness Series. A Video awareness series of 3-5 minutes on the important neurological disorders. Completed 29 series till September 2019.
Year Wise Services Reports:
- 2013(Click to Download)
- 2014(Click to Download)
- 2015(Click to Download)
- 2016(Click to Download)
- 2017(Click to Download)
- 2018(Click to Download)
- 2019(Click to Download)